The Minnesota Swarm fall to a bruising Calgary Roughnecks on Military Appreciation night

The Minnesota Swarm (1-4) welcomed the Calgary Roughnecks (2-3) to The Hive on February 8, 2014 in desperate need of a win.

The opening ceremonies included a pair of military specialists who rapelled from the catwalks above the Xcel Energy Center onto the field.  The second came down head first to deliver the game ball to the referees.

The young Swarm team is the youngest team in the league and has played well through three quarters of most games but has not been able to finish the game when it counts, in the fourth quarter.

Tonight was no exception.  The teams traded leads for most of the game until the fourth quarter when the Roughnecks built up a seemingly insurmountable lead of 14-9 with 11 minutes left in the game.

The Swarm, behind the tenacious play of forward Shayne Jackson scored four unanswered points, Jackson picked up a hat trick with the Swarm’s final three games, to bring the score to within one, to 14-13.

Curtis Dickson, of the Roughnecks was awarded a penalty shot with 48 seconds left in the game and buried the ball in in the net over the left shoulder of the goalie, Tyler Carlson to wrap up the game’s scoring.

More concerning is what looked to be an injury to Swarm Captain Andrew Suitor’s knee, it appeared to be the same knee that was injured last year and kept him out of most of the 2013 season.  Suitor did return to the game but showed signs of being bothered as he ran.  We will keep you posted as we hear more about this.

The Swarm will be back in action against the Edmonton Rush a week from today, Saturday February 15, 2014.  If the Swarm want to keep any hope of a playoff berth alive this is a must win game for them.  The Rush are a perfect 6-0 in 2014 and will be looking to keep that streak alive.

Stay connected with The Minnesota Sports Report on Twitter @mnsportsnews or on Facebook.

Click on a photo to view the a large copy of the photo.


Back to Top
%d bloggers like this: